Bath installation
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sir Leaksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bath installation

Post by Sir Leaksalot » Sun May 25, 2008 6:14 pm

What's the best method of installing a bath?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun May 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Get someone in to do it for you.

Cheers

Sir Leaksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sir Leaksalot » Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Very true but not quite what I was hoping for. :?

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Post by nitro23456 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:27 pm

I find putting it where you want it to go and plumbing it in tends to work quite well.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon May 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Well you did ask the best method and the result of a very general question was two very general answers.

If you can be more specific as to your concerns and the particular problems you are facing perhaps we can be more help.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon May 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Be abit more precise and you'll get a better answer, what's your concerns ?

levelling ?
stripping out ?
plumbing ?
anyhting else ????

We don't know what you're capable of, you may be a complete idiot and a danger to yourself - let us know what you can do and what you do or don't understand.

"what's the best method of installing a bath?" doesn't explain much

If you're sticking to your original question - getting someone else to install it for you is the best answer you'll get.

Sir Leaksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sir Leaksalot » Mon May 26, 2008 10:04 pm

You're right, I should have been more specific.
I can connect the water and the waste and fit the panel.
What I really needed to know was what is the best method of putting the bath in place so it is level and well secured.
I've heard one way is to put battons round the walls (at the right height so the panel will fit) and rest the bath on these, then adjust the feet and screw them to the floor.
Another way was to adjust the feet so the bath is level and at the right height for the panel and then secure to the wall with L-shaped brackets and screw the feet to the floor.

Sir Leaksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sir Leaksalot » Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Almost forgot.
Is there a way of removing an old bath without causing too much damage to the existing tilework and surrounds?

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Post by nitro23456 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:09 am

I managed to get my last one out without damaging any tiles, so it is indeed possible.

When fitting, adjust the feet to level using a spirit level. The bath should be contoured to aid the drainage of water - so check this first, becuase if it is not you will need to slope it down slightly towards the plug hole.

To remove the bath without damaging the bottom row of tiles if it is screwed in using L-shaped brackets and the feet, you need to undo the feet from the floor but dont alter the height or it will fall. Having done this, crawl underneath and undo one of the brackets where it fits to the bath itself (not the wall). There will probably be one on each side. If the other one is hard to get to, you should be able to gently lift the bath from the side that isnt connected to the wall (the room side) - lift it towards the wall as if the bracket still connected is actually a hinge.... an assistant can then climb underneath and undo the other bracket from the bath.

Fitting is a reversal of the above process...... however be prepared to have tiles break, it might happen.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue May 27, 2008 8:50 am

The easiest way - if you have the room, is to set the bath up on a level floor, not in position, this allows access from all sides.

Use a tape measure and spirit level to get all legs the same length.
The length of the legs normally depends on the depth of the bath panel, it still does in your case but you also need to take into consideration the height of the existing tiles, most bath panels are standard size and can be cut if needed.

Once the legs are all set you can just lift the bath into place, may need minor adjustments to the legs.

There's sometimes 2 brackets on the side of the bath, these are used to screw the bath to the wall to prevent movement - not all bath's have these.

As for removing the old bath, the 2 brackets mentioned above will probably cause the most damage (if fitted) as they will probably be behind the tiles. As for damaging other tiles, it depends on the room you have to work with if you have plenty of room and the bath will just slide in and out then i don't see any reason why the tiles cannot be saved. Use a stanley knife to cut the silicone around the bath and the rest will be down to patience.

htg

Sir Leaksalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sir Leaksalot » Tue May 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Thank you.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Tue May 27, 2008 5:01 pm

If the bath is going to have a shower over, I always put battens down the two sides that are in the shower area. I anyone leans or stands on the edge of the bath, it guarantees the edge will not flex and break the water seal between the tiles and bath.

Normally, you set the height of the bath by the height of the front panel. As you are leaving the existing tiles, check that the bath panel will still fit when you have finished.

Mac-the-Wrench
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Mac-the-Wrench » Thu May 29, 2008 1:24 pm

I always build a framework around the bath before installing, regardless of whether or not it has a shower over. That way 3 edges are supported by the frame and the outside edge is supported by the bath panel.

It guarantees the bath will be level, and you can adjust the legs to suit. The bath usually has instructions on how high to set the legs, so you can use that as the height to build the frame.

Good luck.

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:29 pm