WALL TILES ON TOP OF WATERPROOF PAINT?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CATHERINE
Labourer
Labourer

WALL TILES ON TOP OF WATERPROOF PAINT?

by CATHERINE » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Bathroom walls are covered in waterproof paint. I simply sanded them and attached wall tiles with a anti-mould adhesive and grout. That was over a week ago and some of the tiles are now coming loose. Nightmare! Am going to remove the rest of the tiles I have done but what do I do next? Is there a product for stripping off waterproof paint?
Should I have coated the walls in something before applying the adhesive and grout? Either way whoever invented waterproof paint should be shot or covered in waterproof paint! Can anyone help please?

:cry:

Adam.70
Labourer
Labourer

by Adam.70 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi Catherine, best thing to do here is 'scratch' through the paint until you get to the background. This will need tobe done all over, but only in scratches. What I find easiest is a plastic rendering float with screws screwed through until they poke out the front by about 3 mm, put half a dozen screws in then rub this allover the surface hard. (You could also use a Stanlry knife to scratch through with, obviously being a lot more careful!!) Then brush everything loose off.
Once you've done this mix some PVA and water together at about a 50/50 ratio and add a couple of handfuls of sand in it. Paint it on the walls, let it dry and Robert should be your Fathers brother!!
Good luck

CATHERINE
Labourer
Labourer

WALL TILES ON TOP OF WATERPROOF PAINT

by CATHERINE » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:51 pm

Thanks Adam, will give this a try.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:14 pm