Extending earth bonding by making the cable 'continous'
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
matt20uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Extending earth bonding by making the cable 'continous'

by matt20uk » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:57 am

I recently had a periodic inspection. One thing that was picked up was my gas supply is not earth bonded.

As the gas supply and water supply (water is earth bonded) are close to each other, the electrician suggested that I could extend the earthing cable to the gas supply. However, I would need to ensure that the cable is 'continous'.

Please can somebody guide me through what I need to do.

Thanks in advance.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:23 pm

hi,
the main equipotential earth bonding should be direct from main earth terminal at consumer unit to each incoming service,
however in cases where two are close together it is permitted to loop them together in 'a continuous unbroken run',
this usually means stripping a section of insulation to allow connection at the first by looping around earth clamp screw & then running on to other service(s).
It is permitted to loop on as in your case provided there is no chance of a loose connection at the first losing continuity to the second, so the two cables must share a single crimp lug large enough for 2X10mm2 conductors with a single bolt hole of 6-8mm to fit the clamp bolt on the earth clamp in use.
The crimp must be done with a ratchet type crimp tool not a 'car/audio' type tool,
regards

matt20uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

by matt20uk » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, Sparx.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the parts that I need. Is there any chance that you could post links to the parts so that I can buy them?

Thanks.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 pm

hi,

see w3QVSdirect.com cat #QA CL 168 for eg.
these can be purchased from most proper wholesalers (not diy sheds)

I would think a 16 mm lug size with an 8 mm hole would be about right size, but how to crimp it?
Should have got inspecting leckie to do it whilst on site, short length of 10 mm wire + crimps plus small amount of time could nothave added much to job cost.
As he knows the job can you contact him now and get a price?
regards

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:46 am