Distraught Mother needing Answers about outside gas pipes.
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Homesoil
Labourer
Labourer

Distraught Mother needing Answers about outside gas pipes.

by Homesoil » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:35 am

My daughter bought her house in February. Yesterday she returned home from work to a house filled with gas. I turned off the gas supply and could not breath. The emergency gas co. came and disabled the supply and we were evacuated for two hours. The adjacent houses were also filled with a dangerous mix of gas and oxygen leaking from underneath her property. Her house was so pressurised with gas it had gone beyond ignition levels but if the two house next door had "blown" hers would have been a ball of gas. (my interpretation with the information given)
It turns out that some toerag/s had tried to steal her copper piping off the side of the house (they got away with the lead off the roof) and fractured the pipe underneath her dining room floor. The outcome, emergency plumbers, police, unsympathetic insurance company, an estimated £500 bill for the gas leaked, unsympathetic gas company, a ruined laminate floor connected in 3 rooms, lost income from having to take the day off work and untold stress and unknown extra expense from this diabolical intrusion into my daughter's life and space.
Firstly..thanks for letting me vent!
secondly...my question
The emergency gas guy said it is likely the thieves ( too polite word if you ask me) would return.... So what can we put over/around/on top of the newly fixed copper gas pipes to deter any future vandalism of the pipes and avoid the potential of future loss of life??

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:09 pm

Homesoil,
Sorry to hear your story. Probably your cheapest option is to have the exposed copper pipe replaced with steel.
end

Homesoil
Labourer
Labourer

by Homesoil » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:40 am

stoneyboy wrote:Homesoil,
Sorry to hear your story. Probably your cheapest option is to have the exposed copper pipe replaced with steel.
end

We painted it with anti theft paint as a temporary deterrent but I think this is a good suggestion and I shall put it to my daughter and see what she says.
Thanks for you time.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:01 pm