Vokera combi boiler not working after power cut
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sunflower
Labourer
Labourer

Vokera combi boiler not working after power cut

by Sunflower » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:16 pm

Friday morning our Vokera Excell 80E combi boiler was working fine. Friday evening there was a power cut for 4-5 hours. When the power came back on there was no water flow AT ALL from any of the hot taps (like there'd never been water anywhere near them).

The pressure gauge is down at zero (it might have been getting on the low side before the power cut, haven't checked for a while, but clearly it wasn't zero).

I've opened the knob the instructions say tops up the pressure - nothing happens.

Peering in the peep hole I can't see the pilot light. I've done what the skimpy instructions say to relight the pilot, doesn't work, but maybe that's because there's no water there?

No suspicious puddles anywhere.

Is this a bizarre coincidence, or can a power cut magically stop the water flow through a boiler? (Cold water is all fine, this is a flat, all the water comes direct from the mains, upstairs's system is fine, there has been the odd power cut before, only knew about it because various clocks needed resetting, so don't know how long the power was off before.)

Hate to call a plumber out without some inkling of what might be going on - besides, it's the weekend... Thanks in advance for any insights here.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:25 pm

A powercut wouldn't affect the water, there must be a valve that has been turned off - no other explanation.

htg

Sunflower
Labourer
Labourer

by Sunflower » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:50 am

Thank you for replying, I couldn't see how the power being off could have affected the water - but nobody's touched any valves (well, there's only me with access, and I certainly haven't).

Assuming then that's it's some kind of dreadful coincidence, what kind of failure could stop the water getting to the tap AND have the internal pressure gauge reading zero? (I forgot to put before that none of the warning lights is on - the green 'everything's OK' light just goes glowing gently on...)

Thanks again for any (ANY!) thoughts -

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 pm