Vokera Compact HE boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mteasdale
Labourer
Labourer

Vokera Compact HE boiler

by mteasdale » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:02 pm

We are planning to install a new boiler in our flat, and have been advised by our builder to go for a Vokera Compact HE. Is this boiler any good? A quick search of your forums showed conflicting opinions... The new boiler will have to power 7 or 8 radiators and hot water for two bathrooms...

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:03 am

Personally, I don't like them. They are a budget boiler, and like everything else, you get what you pay for. They are not exactly renowned for their reliability or life span. However, I have seen three Vaillant's recently which are my favourite suddenly develop internal leaks requiring replacement parts. They were all under 12 months old! So what does that mean - I don't know.

I would advise you to spend a little more if you can and choose a boiler slightly bigger than you may think you need especially if you have a quality mixer shower that has a high flow rate.

One other consideration is how quickly the boiler can produce hot water, the Vokera 25 is not especially good at that so you can wait some time before hot water reaches the tap. Other makes go as far as keeping a small store of hot water available for instant supply.

wiseone
Labourer
Labourer

by wiseone » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi. I was recommended to have a Vokera Compact after I got so brassed off repairing my other boiler. This has faired little better and there's nothing worse than showering when the water turns cold and stays cold! Our particular problem relates to the thermisters. We have it replaced every few months. I also don't like the timer control its pretty naff the because it has such tiny pins and the 3 position lever is hard to move because its set in too close.

Previously I paid mega price for top of range Ravenheat again recommeded (hey what do I know) and that wasn't up to much either and broke down once or twice a year...its problem was the big brass three way valve and the sensor switch...after 2/3 repairs I'd spent more than than the boiler was worth.

I would recommend taking a look at Witch Consumer at Google "which.co.uk" and check if they have any boiler comparisons. Unfortunately I don't think boilers are made to last and its not strictly true 'you get what you pay for'. Overall boiler prices are much of a muchness its just finding the better one. Good luck.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 pm

I agree with Plumpbob in that the vokera is a budget boiler, however, I have installed quite a few, mainly the HE29 model, that would more than satisfy your need, and have had few complaints. They come with a 2 year part and labour warranty backed up with first class maintainace options. Easy to install and service. We all have our preferences but would say this range is not a bad option given the comparative price. Hope this is of some help.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1