W Trusses
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
weedy1234
Labourer
Labourer

W Trusses

by weedy1234 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:58 pm

I live in a 2 year old house in which the loft is not tall enough to convert to a room. However, hope to use the loft space for storage. The space is very limited due to, what i believe are called, W trusses. Ideally I would like to remove some of these and replace with something which would create more space. Are there any solutions, steal supports or the likw which would do this. Can anyone reccommend any companies which carry out such work????

Cheers.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu May 01, 2008 4:16 pm

You will need to seek the services of a structural engineer, or a company that employs one as your roof would have to be assessed to see what modifications would work.

Chances are you could have the trusses modified but without expert knowledge your roof could collapse.

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Sat May 17, 2008 6:28 pm

weedy1234

The W trusses are called Fink style trusses. The main issue wit altering hte trusses (which should not be undertaken without seeking advice from a chartered building surveyor or structural engineer) is taht many first floor level walls in new dwellings are non-load-bearing. Therfore there is very little for new steel beams to load onto. You are likely to find that this will be a very expensive option for very little gain.

Hope this helps

LCL

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:49 am