Wall boards on batons
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

Wall boards on batons

Post by bemused » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 am

My house is 1930's with cavity walls and I'm renewing my first-floor bathroom. I’ve removed the old tiles (and most of the old plaster) from one exterior wall which is to be fully tiled and will include an area of a new shower. My options seem to be:
a) Have it re-plastered, (I can’t do that myself) but I’m told it will take ages to dry before it can be tiled.
b) Dot and dab, but I’ve never done this and this is quite a large wall for a first attempt.
c) Fix batons to wall and mount 12.5mm plaster board and Aquapanel where required.

I’ve pretty much decided that option c is the only one open to me, so I’m left with a few questions:

1. Should I start with a sheet of polythene?
2. Should I put insulation between the batons? (I’ve seen some interesting looking panels in Wickes that are 25mm thick fibre with foil each side).
3. Can I tile straight on top of the panels (plasterboard and Aquapanel) when done?

Grateful for some guidance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 pm

bemused,
Cavity walls generally did not get used until after WW2 are you sure they are cavity walls? The options open to you are very dependent of this.
end

bemused
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by bemused » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks Stoneboy, now you've made me think.

Downstairs definitely has two skins of very solid brick and a gap of about 30mm (that's an estimate from memory). Upstairs, where I'm doing the bathroom work, when I removed the WC at the weekend and looked at the hole left by the soil pipe, I got the impression there were two rows of brick, but no gap, although at the time I thought it was just a case of mortar blocking the gap. I suppose I should have measured it but too late now as I've filled the hole.

So now I'm wondering, would you expect a solid 9in wall upstairs?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:19 pm

bemused,
I'd expect all the external walls to be solid 9". If you are going to be successful I think your only option will be to have the walls replastered. I would suggest a coat of lightweight browning plaster with a finish coat.
You could go down the boarding route but damp will form behind the boards causing you all sorts of problems.
end

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

Post by swidders » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:04 am

I agree with stoneyboy here. I'd give the plaster a good week or so to dry out.

It will be worth your while to tank behind the wet areas of the wall (shower?) with a Bal shower system or equivalent.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:26 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:28 pm