WALL LIGHTS
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goffo
Apprentice
Apprentice

WALL LIGHTS

by goffo » Wed May 13, 2009 8:06 pm

i WILL SHORTLY BE HAVING TWO WALL LIGHTS FITTED IN MY SITTING ROOM
WILL THE INSTALLER BE ABLE TO RUN THE CABLES IN THE WALL CAVITY OR WILL THE CABLE HAVE TO BE 50mm DEEP IN THE PLASTER

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu May 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Depending what type of wall it is, there is a number of ways it can be done.
But likelyhood is your electrician will protect circuit with rcbo, if not already protected by rcd or rcbo that is.
kb

goffo
Apprentice
Apprentice

by goffo » Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm

THANKS FOR THE REPLY ,BUT YOU MISSED MY POINT
CAN CABLES BE RUN IN THE CAVITY WALL OR DOES A 50mm CHANNEL HAVE TO BE CUT ?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun May 17, 2009 12:28 am

Sorry I did miss that I was thinking of partition walls. You are not allowed to run cables within the cavity of walls, so you will need to chase out, you are also not allowed to chase more than one third of depth of wall so to chase out 50mm the wall should be at least 150mm deep/wide/thick.
You can use permitted zones as mentioned in OSG relating to the cable route taken from accessories.
I'd recommend that the circuit was RCD/RCBO protected at CU.
But your electrician will know all about that? If the circuit is not already protected by rcd, it will be likely that it is not considered minor work as protective devices will need to be replaced at CU. So will then be considered a new circuit and will need to be notified if work not carried out by registered electrician. This circuit will need to be inspected and tested to assure it complies to BS7671:2008 so certs can be issued.
Is that the point you was wanting me to make?
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 pm