Wall mounted outside light.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ajay
Labourer
Labourer

Wall mounted outside light.

by Ajay » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:55 pm

On the back wall of my house there is wiring for an outside light from the internal lighting ring.
I have now bought a light, and attached it to the wiring. The cable is three core, with a bare copper wire.
I have attached the red-live, blue-neutral and the earth cable. I also installed the bare copper earth in line with the other earth. When I switch the fuses back on, the light is on, but the fuse trips when any other light on that floor is switched on.With the bare copper cable disconnected from the earth, the light is on all the time.
I'm not sure waht to do, any suggestions???

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Ajay, you have a three core and earth cables as you have mentioned, the bare copper wire is your earth and should have yellow and green insulated sleaving on (available at most diy stores and all electrical wholesalers)
I guess you think that the yellow cable is the earth? not so this is live conductor.
What switches do you have operating this light and what coloured cables are inside them?
KB

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:49 am