Wall Odour - will Zinsser Bin fix it?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
popsicle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wall Odour - will Zinsser Bin fix it?

by popsicle » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:06 am

Hi,
I have wall odour from using Crown Breatheasy paint and despite using the Crown sealer and repainting (twice!) the smell is still there. I was wondering if Zinsser Bin would be able to totally block the smell and also is there a lingering smell after using it and how long does it last.
Thank you so much in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:06 pm

popsicle,
Yes ZB should seal in the smell completely.
end

popsicle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by popsicle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:32 pm

It didn't work :(
Any other ideas are most welcome

popsicle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by popsicle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:57 am

Just thought I'd do a quick and depressing update for anyone interested as it seems there are alot of other people also affected by this problem.
After finding out that shellac primer is the best odour blocker (which I'd already tried) and at one point the wall odour smell was coming through the ceiling to the room below, I decided I had no choice but to get that damn paint off the walls completely.
After stripping the paint off, the smell was horrendous. The smell hadnt just been going out into the room it was also going back into the plasterboard. After a few days the smell started to fade but three weeks later there is still the smell of wall odour especially when the weather changes. It is much fainter than before but it's still there (The wall odour has been there for a year though) . I don't know whether it will go away completely with time or if an odour blocker would completely seal it now. Personally, I never want to use any paint again. I believe that paint companies haven't got a clue about wall odour and how to deal with it. The paint research association wouldn't reply to my emails and have taken down their wall odour page and its obvious alkali resistant sealer doesnt work in all cases.
I'll stop there before I start ranting :(
I'll update when any changes happen.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:54 pm

popsicle,
Have you checked whether the wall is damp?
Many years ago I caught a plasterer I had employed peeing in the mix - he assured me that this accelerated the setting of the plaster ... I didn't use him again!!
end

popsicle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by popsicle » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:43 pm

The wall is dry and I havent put anything on it since removing the paint. I also have the windows open during the day whenever I'm in, which is alot.
And....eurgh!!! Peeing in the mix?? That's a weird one lol.

popsicle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by popsicle » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Oops, I forgot to mention that I stripped the paint off with a scraper so havent used any chemicals/liquids on it either.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:14 pm

popsicle,
Have you used a damp meter over the wall to check it is dry?
end

popsicle
Apprentice
Apprentice

by popsicle » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:33 am

Just used a damp meter and its all ok.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 pm