Wall re-plastering
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
3magnet
Tradesman
Tradesman

Wall re-plastering

by 3magnet » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:48 am

I have just stripped existing wallpaper in all our rooms with a steamer. There are areas on some of the walls that have lost some of the plastering, which seems to have been a botch job previously as the coulours are different i.e. red & grey. It could also have been due to the steamer?

I have also removed old skirting boards & some of the nails securing them, but this has caused chunks of plaster to brake off/away from the wall. Some of the edging on the corners have also broken off due to flaking plaster, which sounded hollow when tapped.

How would I go about preparing the base surface, before applying the "skimming cote"? How could I repair the chunks that have come off?

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:39 pm

The base surface or scratch coat as its called can be coated with PVA adhesive (see our project on PVA) and then the holes can be filled. In areas where this is just a skim coat then skim or finish plaster can be used and in areas where nails have ripped it about a little, then a patching or "one coat" plaster can be used. If you cannot get the edges or "joints" perfect at the outset, leave until dry and sand down.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:42 am