Wall Socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
spmontgomery
Labourer
Labourer

Wall Socket

Post by spmontgomery » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm

I have just had a gable end wall damp proofed by having the old wet plaster removed , a waterproof membrane added (Newlath 500) which has had plaster board added using dot and dab and finished with Thistle final top coat about 3mm thick.

The existing wall double-socket box has to be replaced as it is too corroded to keep. Unfortunately the hole cut out of the plaster board is too large (this became evident when removing the old box) . The hole had been made smaller by the use of mesh tape and plaster around the opening which is not strong enough to enable me to screw in the socket face without crumbling the plaster around it's perimeter.

How do I overcome this problem? One thought was to use a 2 to 3 converter socket face which would then extend further out each side onto proper plaster board. Alternatively a plastic surround which fits over the plaster board and under the socket face would enable me to use my existing double socket and negate the need for making good the edges. Unfortunately I have not been able to find such a product at our local B & Q store, only ones for light switches.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Shaun

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 am

Where for what ever reason I have not been able to drill and fix behind a backing box I have filled the hole with plaster and pushed in the box and left to dry then fitted a socket without any problems.
I can't quite see what your problem is? You do realize sockets have backing boxes? Explain why you can't dot and dab backing box please?
Eric

spmontgomery
Labourer
Labourer

Post by spmontgomery » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:28 am

[quote="ericmark"]Where for what ever reason I have not been able to drill and fix behind a backing box I have filled the hole with plaster and pushed in the box and left to dry then fitted a socket without any problems.
I can't quite see what your problem is? You do realize sockets have backing boxes? Explain why you can't dot and dab backing box please?
Eric[/quote]

Eric, thanks for your reply.

If I fill the hole with plaster then I will compromise the integrity of the damp proof membrane which is fixed to the external brick wall (this is an old 13" single skin wall). When this was added to the wall (it looks a bit like bubble wrap with a woven backing) the existing back boxes/sockets were left in place and the membrane detailed to the box. When a replacement/new box is added then a piece of DPC has to be placed behind the box to help to stop damp migration around the box and onto the plaster board. I have used a 47mm deep back box but because of the nature of the work carried out to the wall the distance to the front edge of the plaster is more than it was originally and therefore needs a firm edge to enable the socket face to be screwed up against.

Shaun

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Then all I can suggest is a dry lining box.
Eric

spmontgomery
Labourer
Labourer

Post by spmontgomery » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 am

[quote="ericmark"]Then all I can suggest is a dry lining box.
Eric[/quote]

Thanks Eric. I think/hope that I have found a solution. After the new back box had been fitted there was a gap of 1/2" or so around one side of the box which is not ideal as this would allow water vapour/damp to reach the plaster board. A quick phone call to the company that did the damp proofing suggested that expanding foam filler would be a good product to use as it fills the gap around the box both at the side and expands out of the gap so it can then be cut back to the surface and creates a good base for the face plate surround. Furthermore because it is an impervious material it stops any damp reaching the plaster board from around the box.

I have also ordered from Ebay a white plastic face plate surround that fits a double socket (item number 130251613281).

Hopefully these two fixes will overcome my problem.

Any comments welcome.

Shaun

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes my son uses this foam and seems to work well. I hate working with the stuff but does work well.
Eric

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm