Wallpaper steamers
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bodget&co
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wallpaper steamers

by bodget&co » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:08 am

Hi can anyone help me with my query?

I bought an Earlex wallpaper steamer last Sunday (17th June 2007)
I was using it yesterday and after about an hour of use it tripped out all the downstairs sockets, the mains cable for the unit was extremely hot, and when I removed the plug from the socket I nearly burnt my hand on the pins they were so hot. Obviously these things are intended to produce heat but on this scale? My home was rewired completely just 2 weeks ago and was carried out by pro/Napit regd. electricians. Has anyone had similar problems, if it is a problem, or is this just normal?
Should I call back the electricians or take the steamer back to my local hardware store, or do I have some sort of thermal trip in my fuse board?

Any help or advice anyone can offer will be very gratefully appreciated indeed. Many thanks,

Matt.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi If not a moulded on plug then would suggest loose connection, or how much water are you getting in the socket?
If it is a moulded plug then try it on another socket, if it gets more than mildly warm take it back, if OK then would suggest original socket has loose connection at terms. or is poor quality item as what you are experiencing is not normal!
regards SPARX

bodget&co
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wallpaper steamers.

by bodget&co » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi Sparx,

Thank you so much indeed for your help, it is much appreciated.

The mains cable for the unit does have a moulded plug and I have been ultra careful with the steamer around the sockets, have also tried it in other sockets around the house, it didn't trip the fuse board, but it was extremely hot again.
Think I'll dig out the receipt for it and get me back down to the store.

Thanks again Sparx,

Matt.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:20 am