Wallplugs for long screws
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
John_NewUser
Labourer
Labourer

Wallplugs for long screws

Post by John_NewUser » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:58 pm

:?:

I'm a relative newcomer to DIY and am trying to fix kitchen wall cupboards to brick and plaster walls. The cupboards will hang on steel brackets 2 to 3 mm thick.

I've been advised that I should use number 10 or 12 screws with a minimum length of 60 mm. As the cupboards will be holding heavy crockery I intend to use number 12 screws of 60 mm or greater.

My question concerns the wall plug to use with these. The only advice I see is to use the brown wall plugs but these appear far too short for the screw being used as the screw will penetrate approx 60 mm into the brickwork.

Do I use the freely available short wall plugs and just push them back into the drilled hole or is there an alternative?

:?:

aceone
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by aceone » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:30 pm

hi....yes use the standard brown plugs,drill hole deep enough for screws,put the screws in and tap the screw so it goes down the hole and then screw the brackets up tight[color=brown][/color]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 am

I think what Aceone is saying, tap the rawlplug to the full depth of the hole which should be as deep as the screw. If you want to, put two plugs in the hole.

Really though, people panic about fixing cupboards. What is important is to ensure the drilled hole is clean, and the correct size for the plug and screw.

Two or three 2.5" x 10 screws will be fine. Just make sure the plug is in brick not the plaster so if you consider the plaster is 1/2" thick, then only 2" of the screw will be biting which is just about the length of a brown plug.

Another tip is to run a bead of clear silicone down the back edge of the cupboard when fixing as when dry, this alone will support the weight of the cupboard and its contents.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:23 pm