walls come tumbling down - hopefully not...
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Percy2008
Labourer
Labourer

walls come tumbling down - hopefully not...

by Percy2008 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 pm

Hi Chaps - new to this site but I can tell FreePHP when I see it - well done Mr Moderator - anyway, down to business. I have recently stripped of the wall-paper in the hall/stairs/landing area of my 1950's semi, the surface of the plaster is smooth & clean mostly (reckon it's been skimmed less than 20yrs) but it looks like the boards are starting to come away from the brick (on the gable wall only) as there are a lot of very long hairline cracks & there's movement if I apply pressure. I would rather not knock off the plaster & re-board (I am not a plasterer) if I can avoid - is there anyway I could drill a few strategic holes & squirt an adhesive behind the board to re-bond? If so what should I use?

thanks in advance.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi Percy2008,

Firstly are you sure it's a wall that has been boarded or is it a plastered wall,
that is starting to decay?

If it is a dot'n'dab wall you can try and hole where the board is springing or loose and use wall adhesive to bond the board back to wall, it would be a good idea if you had something that could hold loose area in place (wedged and propped flat to wall) while the compound is setting.

If its plaster you could knock loose area off and plaster patch.
Regards
KB

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Hi Percy,
You seem frightfully R.A.F. - or is it my me?
I don't think that would quite work old chap.If it crumbles and moves it's replacement I'm afraid.However, as a last resort, I would squirt some filler foam strategically,(as you so eliquently, put it ) behind the boards to "beef" them up.

All the Best

P.S. Go easy on the strategic - that stuff expands and can exert a lot of force

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:03 am