Warm Air heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
readingwilly
Labourer
Labourer

Warm Air heating system

by readingwilly » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:49 pm

we have an old johnson and starley system we inherited when buying the house. the heating is very efficient and its nice not to have radiators but the gas men have been saying for a long time that it is becoming obselete and dangerous. J and S have quoted over £3000 to replace which seems very expensive.

anyone with experience with any alternatives?

thanks in advance.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm

'it is becoming obselete and dangerous'

If that was the case they wouln't leave the boiler connected to the gas supply, it would be condemned. I still work on many JS Hi-Spec, Controlaire etc etc - you can still get the parts, have it serviced annually.

Could it be they were just after the money for installing a new boiler ? or you'll probably find many people do not like working on warm air systems.

htg

readingwilly
Labourer
Labourer

by readingwilly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]'it is becoming obselete and dangerous'

If that was the case they wouln't leave the boiler connected to the gas supply, it would be condemned. I still work on many JS Hi-Spec, Controlaire etc etc - you can still get the parts, have it serviced annually.

Could it be they were just after the money for installing a new boiler ? or you'll probably find many people do not like working on warm air systems.

htg[/quote]

thanks for your reply.

British Gas has now taken it off our cover and won't service it anymore. I think I'm stuck!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:06 pm

When your next annual gas service is due, get an RGI that works locally(best to go off recommendation, by friends, family etc)

See what they say, ok you will have to pay for services, parts and repairs but I bet you save money in the longrun, not having to pay monthly for BG homecare.

htg

Allan T
Labourer
Labourer

by Allan T » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:25 pm

We have a Johnson & Starley WAGCH system. We replaced the original 5 years ago which was 40 years old and have it serviced annually. Our only problem is dry air. Can anyone suggest a cheap home solution to solve this please? Humidifier? How much should a decent one cost? I should add we live in a 2 bed flat - so only need this for the lounge area.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1