warm radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tiggsy
Labourer
Labourer

warm radiators

by tiggsy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:27 pm

Hi I am getting only warm radiators yet hot water is fine.
Boiler is Thorn Apollo 15/30
I have changed the pump and the balance valve. The old one had a leak directly onto the pump so I suspected a problem there.
This didnt solve the problem.
However I noticed that when the CH is on the boiler doesnt appear to run through its cycle , in otherwords its fired up all of the time. It never overheats though, also I can hold my hand on the inlet pipe to the pump which i would assume should be mad hot. It seems to me that the flame isnt efficient enough to trip the Hi stat. Would a burner and heat exchanger and flue clean help? I cant understand why the burner should be lit constantly, yet i can hold the hot water pipe continually.
Many Tanks Tiggsy

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Vent all radiators, to make sure any air in the system can escape.

What setting do you have the boiler thermostat on ?

Best thing to do it to get a heating engineer out to have a look. And carry out a service if been over 12months since the last one.

The burner pressure could be too low, therefore not heating the water enough, and any heat in the water would be lost fairly quickly through pipework and heating the hot water.

The burner pressure will (should) be checked during the annual gas service.

tiggsy
Labourer
Labourer

by tiggsy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:25 am

Thanks for the reply htg engineer.
Ive had a local engineer to look at it. All he talks about is the boilers age and a new replacement, a if you buy today I can offer you a good deal scenario.
He did say that the pressure was ok. But said the system was no longer efficient I pressume by that he means it simply needs descaling and the boiler heat exchanger/burner needs cleaning.
I tried it last night with one of the larger radiators turned off and it seemed much improved. The settings is always on Hi thermostat. Up till last night I noticed that the raditors seemed to be robbing the hot water of heat. But as mentioned before after turning off the conservatory rad everything seems to be better.
So if a good clean and descale doesnt do the job then its time to bite my lip and shell out for a new boiler.
Any thoughts/ advice would be greatfully appreciated specially on system cleaning.
Regards Tiggsy

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1