Washing machine/dryer install
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Simian-Spanner
Labourer
Labourer

Washing machine/dryer install

by Simian-Spanner » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:44 am

Hi all,

am a bit naieve when it comes to DIY, and am having to deal with the legacy of someone who dabbled :roll:

Anyway, we are having a new washing machine and tumble dryer delivered in the next few days (previous AEG washer has packed up after ~10 years gawd bless her, and dryer is showing signs). I am quite happy about changing over all the hosing, etc (not afraid of reading a manual), but there is an issue.

The current machines are in under the worktop in the kitchen, next to the kitchen sink and cupboard (into which all the hoses, etc runs). However, the electrical wires run through two small holes under the cupboard only big enough for electrical wire and no more. They both still have the original plugs on, it looks like the wires were disconnected from source (hatch on back of dryer for this purpose with ground, etc all attached with screws), passed through and reconnected.

I get the idea that by doing this I would invalidate the warranty on the machines, having spoken to AEG, I'm ok changing the plug, but any damage resulting would also invalidate the warranty.

I'm leaning very much toward just cutting/drilling abigger hole and just passing the plugs through that.... :?

Any suggestions?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:59 pm

You are right in saying removing the cover will invalidate any warranty. Removing the plugs is a no no too as they are high wattage appliances, moulded plugs are the best.

To facilitate easy fitting and removal of appliances all holes under kitchen units should be large enough to accept plugs , so if they are not, enlarge them. Or redirect the cable.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:53 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:02 pm