Washing machine electric and water extensions.
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Plumbing issues
Labourer
Labourer

Washing machine electric and water extensions.

by Plumbing issues » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some helpful advice. We have moved house and our new house is smaller than our old one (both rented). We have both a washing machine and dishwasher and only have enough space in the kitchen for one.

I have had an idea that I can plumb in the dishwasher in the kitchen and put the washing machine in the large shed. We have an outside tap and I thought that I could somehow extend the water in pipe and attach it to the outside tap. Then have it connected when in use, and disconnected when not in use. As for out pipe, there is a drain straight outside so thats sorted.

The electricity is fairly easy, an extension lead so that both ends are undercover and only a small length of flex is in the elements. Again only out when in use - other than that it will be coiled up.

So I would like to know if this is a workable options? If so what is my best way of setting up the water in pipe?

Many Thanks for all help.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:54 pm

From the water point of view, you could possibly use a length of hosepipe to connect the supply, but you will have to ferret around for a coupling to join the hose to the w/m hose as it is an unusual requirement. (Plumbers merchant should solve that.) You must consider frost though, as it may damage the w/m because of the water still in the pipework after it has been disconnected.

As for the electric, obviously the plugs and sockets must be kept dry and free of damp. Do not leave cables coiled up. ALWAYS unravel any coils completely otherwise when heavily loaded, they will overheat and can cause a fire!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:55 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:16 pm