waste disposal socket locations
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kallah
Labourer
Labourer

waste disposal socket locations

by kallah » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:58 am

I am refitting a kitchen an juggling a few design issues. One concerns the location of a waste disposal unit air switch socket and a socket /rcd it can plug into. I have a couple of electricians quoting generally (part p etc), but want to anticipate location, access etc. They tell me it is OK to locate the air switch socket under the actual sinks, despite the presence of waste piping - I simply plug the disposal unit into it in this location. But the switch has to go to its own socket somewhere nearby and this implies it will be within a deep run I have behind the kitchen cabinets, where water pipes also run. Can you give me some guidance on this second socket location (in this area) so that I can anticipate this among all the other issues I am anticipating? (eg later access) Are there some simple rules (as for the location of fittings in bathroom zones)?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Hi, as your kitchen ring circuit should be RCD protected any way then simply allow for an IP rated outdoor type socket under drainer area, it shouldn't be wet there in normal usage but with the flap closed against gel seal no water can get to plug, some disagreement abt. mounting to inside of cupboard or onto back wall with access hole, diff. leckies favour each method,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:48 pm