Waste Pipe Contraction Against Wooden Beam In Replacement Ensuite Bathroom

Postby miketurnermk » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:20 am

I recently had my Ensuite bathroom replaced and after we noticed a lot of what sounded like loud tapping noises; after a lot of conversation with the fitters we came to the conclusion that it is being caused by pipe contraction.

After trying quite a few fixes (changing water pressure etc) we took out a section of wall in the living room below the ensuite.

The fitter told me he thought he fixed it; repatched the wall and left but the noise got worse.

I took out a piece of wall myself to investigate (as the fitters told me that they didn't think the problem was down to them and wanted more money to help)

What I found was this:

PlasticStrips.jpg

They thought the problem was being caused by the waste pipe against the wooden beam, so had sprayed some expanding foam in the gap behind and then put 2 plastic strips in to try to pry the pipe away from the beam.

Appreciate anyones comments with regard to this type of fix and how it should have been handled and whether this would be acceptable or expected to have worked?
miketurnermk
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!