Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
melitavejnovic
Apprentice
Apprentice

water leak in bathroom downstairs

Post by melitavejnovic » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:09 pm

hello everybody,

i live on the third/top floor. My neighbours' bathroom downstairs has a leak on the ceiling. We have a same flat set up and theri bathroom is directly underneath mine. on their bathroom ceiling there is a leak, a steady trickle of water. Yet, when i removed my bath panel there was no water anywhere and everything seemed bone dry. this first happened 2 months ago, it leaked for a few weeks, then stoped completely, only to return last week. I've had 4 independent plumbers around and no one seems to know what the problem is. a plumber did a test by pouring a coloured chemical into my overflow tank to see if its my water leaking into the flat downstairs, but it turned out not to be. also , i've had my thermostat changed.... im desperate to find out what is going on and if i am responsible for this. i don't understand why it all dried out for two months only to return again. i live here, i wash and use all the amenities as i always have done. any ideas? Please help!

Turtleneck
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Turtleneck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:22 pm

I live in a similar setup (top floor flat) and my downstairs neighbour had a small leak coming through his ceiling which is directly under my bathroom.

I checked my bathroom and could find nothing obvious, then I touched a tile on the wall behind the shower and it wobbled !

Turns out my shower union was leaking and running down behind the tiles to the floor and then matey's ceiling. So it might be worth checking to see if you have a similar prob. Also check that your grout and sealant are not crocked and letting water behind the tiles.

By the way the my plasterboard wall was soaked right thru and had to be replaced.

Hope this helps 8)

PresleyT
Labourer
Labourer

Post by PresleyT » Tue May 31, 2011 4:09 pm

If there is a leak in the ceiling of your neighbor's bathroom underneath you, did any plumber tear out your neighbor's ceiling to see if they could find the source? Even if the leak dried out, I would still replace the ceiling because it could mold. I had a leak in my ceiling in my bathroom that ended up being a air conditioner blower. The condensation pan got clogged and would spill over into the ceiling.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:50 pm

is it condensation?

jenniferhoops
Labourer
Labourer

Re: water leak in bathroom downstairs

Post by jenniferhoops » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 am

melitavejnovic wrote:hello everybody,

i live on the third/top floor. My neighbours' bathroom downstairs has a leak on the ceiling. We have a same flat set up and theri bathroom is directly underneath mine. on their bathroom ceiling there is a leak, a steady trickle of water. Yet, when i removed my bath panel there was no water anywhere and everything seemed bone dry. this first happened 2 months ago, it leaked for a few weeks, then stoped completely, only to return last week. I've had 4 independent plumbers around and no one seems to know what the problem is. a plumber did a test by pouring a coloured chemical into my overflow tank to see if its my water leaking into the flat downstairs, but it turned out not to be. also , i've had my thermostat changed.... im desperate to find out what is going on and if i am responsible for this. i don't understand why it all dried out for two months only to return again. i live here, i wash and use all the amenities as i always have done. any ideas? Please help!

Have you asked from plumber and carpenter about this leakage? I think you have to find the leakage in the bathrooms floor and then cover the leakage in ceiling.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:35 pm