Water leaking bewteen interlocking roof tiles
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DerekT
Labourer
Labourer

Water leaking bewteen interlocking roof tiles

Post by DerekT » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi folks,

My roof has interlocking tiles with a double overlap at the sides. I recently noticed water running down my facia board instead of going into my gutter so I got on the ladders to investigate.

I used a kettle of water to pour on various places and I found the tile pair responsible but I cannot figure out why. The tiles are double overlapped and the like all the tiles on the roof there is small gap between each tile. However unlike the other tiles water goes in the gap up and over the first overlap, up and over the second overlap onto the membrane and then dribbles down the facier. There are no cracks in the tiles, I thoroughly cleaned the overlaps (male and female ends on both tiles) yet it still fails the kettle test.

Not sure what to do other than what I have done. I was thinking of running a bead of silicon down the gap. Is this an OK thing to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Derek

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

Post by acsimpson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 am

I don't know if it's the right thing to do but prior to me buying my house 5 years ago that's exactly what someone has done and it is still holding.

DerekT
Labourer
Labourer

Post by DerekT » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Great, thanks ac, thats good enough for me.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Local help at hand!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:14 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find-tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 pm