Water leaking to inside of chimney
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pronto
Labourer
Labourer

Water leaking to inside of chimney

by pronto » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:22 pm

New to this area so please excuse my fumblings

I have a semi-bungalow, shared chimney stacks, chimney has been repointed in last couple of years, numerous roofers have tried to resolve leak issue to no avail. Water seems to get into inside of chimney drips down, hits bend in chimney wall soaks out then drips onto ceiling below. Next door neighbours say they do not have leak to their chimney, we have taken a brick out of chimney internally to examine, and indeed if after a night of rain water will have dripped down internal to the chimney and filled the frog of the brick area removed, the frog will be full of water. Internally there is excessive of what appears to be salt/white deposit. We have checked all fashin etc. and can find no leaks etc., it dow appear that no tray was initially put in when built but obviously water is getting in to the internal walls of the chimney.

Can someone advise firstly some knacks/tips of how best to locate the water entry point to the inside of chimney, if not how can i resolve this even if it is an overkill method. Others have suggested removing the chimney, but, neighbour are reluctant to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:37 pm

pronto,
Try coating the chimney with silicone waterproofing liquid - you'll need to apply 2/3 coats initially.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:04 pm