All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peteivy
Labourer
Labourer

Water tank filling VERY slowly after leak

Post by peteivy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:52 am

Firstly, please forgive me for not having a clue what I'm talking about :oops:

We woke up yesterday to no cold water to the kithen. (It was at ths point I found out that the rest of the house is supplied by the tanks!!! :roll: ) It was down to a tree in the back garden being almost blown down and it ripped the pipe for the outside tap out, which caused a major leak.
This has now been fixed, but we now have a problem with the rest of the water. The rest of the water dried up last night. Unable to flush the loo etc etc. So I got up into the loft to check the tank up there and it was pretty much empty. It was filling up but only with a trickle. I've checked this morning and the tank is now half full, but we still have no cold water in the bathrooms and also, knocking the hot water tank, it sounds pretty empty.

So pretty much the only thing that happened was that the wehad a leak that has been fixed, but while we had the leak, the water tanks emptied. Now the water tanks are taking an age and a half to fill up. The pressure on the tap int the kitch seems perfecly as it was!

Can anybody help on tis snowy easter sunday?

TIA

Pete

chrisroberts
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by chrisroberts » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:03 pm

im guessing your main cold water supply comes in the kitchen and the kitchen tap is tee'd off it then it will feed the tank in the loft, if the kitchen tap is fine then it sounds like abit of debris may have entered the float valve in the tank. check that the float is operating correctly in the tank ie. it has dropped down opening the valve to top it back up or turn main water off and strip down float valve and give a clean. try the simple things first. hope this helps a little.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:25 pm

Sunds like either a blockage in the ball valve, or the ball valve is sticking.

If you have time you could strip down and clean - but for the time and the price you'd might as well nip down to a DIY store and buy a new ball valve.

Shouldn't take long to renew.

peteivy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by peteivy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:46 am

Hi guys

Thanks for your help so far.

Tank problem now sorted. Got back up in the loft and played around with the connection which seemed to be encrusted with limescale. Attempted totake it off, but was unable to unscrew it for some reason. It would turn, but thats all it would do. So gave it a clout as I was angry with it and it now works a treat :).

We then had a problem with the cold taps in the bathroom uptairs. Both bath and sink. Read somewhere that I needed to run the farthest away from the tank firs, and then the closest. That was that problem fixed. Both taps now running better than they ever have!!

Now for the new problem. Showers!!! We have 2. One up and one downstairs. Neither are working at the moment. Onlyproducing a slight trickle on both. The upstairs shower, a Triton Jade 2 can be swithced on, but the "low pressure" light comes on. The downstairs one, a Triton T80 (which I would imagine is a few years old and is rarely used!) can be switched on, but neither the power light or low pressure light come on. It does make a humming noise, but not alot else. Since I tried this shower, there had been water trickling out of the shower head ever since. I assume the shower is knackered, but I presume that even if it is, it doesn't explain the low pressure problem.

Will keep you posted. Any suggestions welcomed.

Pete

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm