Water-valve leaking in airing cupboard
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
agcar1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water-valve leaking in airing cupboard

by agcar1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:33 am

Last year I replaced a Bottle Air Vent in my airing cupboard (small 3" brass), as it was leaking. Today there is another similar leak, but in a differnt component. This time it's a larger steel component (about 6" high, 2" wide). It's got what looks like a pressure-release valve on top, out of which small amounts of blackened-water mist is spraying (though, bizarrely(?), only the water-heating system is currently on... the central-heating system is off).
As you can guess, I'm no expert! But is the above sufficient info to advise what this element this, and how easy it is to replace? The Bottle Air Vent was simple, as it simply screwed into a one-way valve, but this item is in the middle of a 22mm horizontal pipe run, rather than terminating at the end of a vertical pipe. (It's a 9 year old non-combi non-cold-water-tank hot-cyclinder system.)
Many thanks,
Andy

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Is it your pump? What does this "pressure release valve" look like? Can you take a picture of it, host it on imageshack or similar and post a link to the image here?

Cheers

agcar1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by agcar1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:26 am

Hi Rosebery

Thanks for the reply. I've posted a couple of photos on the following site:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?u ... feat=email

Cheers,
Andy

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks. Am working away atm (just waiting for some addy to dry not skiving) and pics too small on me 'phone. Am back in front of proper PC Fri eve and will have a look then.

So not ignoring you

Cheers

agcar1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by agcar1 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Cheers Rosebery, no worries. Will look forward to hearing from you Friday. Good luck with the job!
Andy

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:22 pm

It's an inline air seperator - same as an auto airvent, basically.

The pipework is that ways, to make the air seperator the highest point of the heating system, any air in the system will escape via this point, preventing corrosion.

Juts replace the valve.

http://www.bizrate.co.uk/rd2?t=http%3A% ... ator+3%2F4

htg

agcar1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by agcar1 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:55 pm

Cheers htg, that looks like it!

Is it the sort of thing I can change myself? I've done some bits & pieces, but am no expert. Does the system need draining down, or is it enough to do it when the system is off?

Thanks again.
Andy

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Yes it will need draining, If you're confident, then there's no reason why you cannot do it yourself.

htg

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:43 am