wbp plywood
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pezandlea
Labourer
Labourer

wbp plywood

by pezandlea » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:10 pm

hi,
i wounder if u could help me,
i had builders in and they done my bathroom
i had a slight problem when my tiles started to crack in half on the wall. When i asked them wat they used they said wbp ply does it shrink or would putting pvc on wbp ply make it shrink at all.. hope u can help

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 pm

How long ago was the bathroom fitted?

When did the cracking start?

If both relatively recent don't worry about asking what they did - tell 'em to come back and fix it!

For info though WPB (water and boil proof) ply doesn't shrink. They may have used too thin a sheet though. What do you mean by pvc? I have a feeling I know but I'd like you to confirm.

Cheers

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:46 am

Let me guess, your builders sheeted the wall in ply and then use PVA glue to "seal" it?

If they did then there's basically a thin layer of glue that will barley be holding the tiles to the wall as PVA forms a skin. It doesn't penetrate the ply to form a proper bond. That coupled with the fact that it will go "live" as again when the wet tile adhesive hit it means it will have a sketchy hold at best.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:17 pm