All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jims2
Labourer
Labourer

WC Flushing Problems

by jims2 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi,

Im having problems with an upstairs toilet. I changed the siphon a few weeks ago as
it was split. New siphon is exactly the same as the old but it only worked for about a
day and then stopped flushing. Took it out and it looks okay not splits in the membrane.
Fitted a second new unit (came in a pack of two) and it did exactly the same worked
okay for a short time then stopped flushing.
Any thoughts if i might be doing something wrong or if i might have the wrong unit is
there different types besides volume ?
Woudl it be possible to change the whole WC over to one of those "flap" type units i know
B&Q do a conversion kit but is it recommended ?

thanks Jim

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:12 pm

The only difference between syphons is the height. They are such simple and reliable items, I cannot imagine why a new one might fail.

Yes, you can replace it with modern "flap" type, but personally, I would leave it as it is because they are more reliable and less likely to leak. Well, supposedly!

jims2
Labourer
Labourer

by jims2 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks, appreciate the response. I checked it all out lastnight again and it seems
to be working now. Think the replacements i got were maybe a bit on the cheap side.

Barry Bunsen
Ganger
Ganger

by Barry Bunsen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi
Ive been fitting a few of these now. Usually quite straightforward but in the summer I fitted 2 that malfunctioned. In spite of being new units, after 3-4 weeks they would only work intermittantly. I took both out, inspected them and replaced them with no improvement. They are cheap so I finally replaced them with no further problems. I put it down to a bad batch coming through the production line. Perhaps yours came through at the same time!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:42 am