Westbury Homes built in 2005 plasterboard internal walls
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neil shay
Labourer
Labourer

Westbury Homes built in 2005 plasterboard internal walls

by neil shay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:02 am

Newby to the forum here, just after some advice apologies for the lengthy post.

We recently purchased a 4 bed det that was built in 2005 half of the estate was built by westbury who were bought out by Persimmon and the rest of the estate is nearing completion.

When we got it we decided to remove a wall on the ground floor that was originally a lounge and seperate study to create one big room. When my joiner removed the wall he found it was not a standard stud wall but was roughly a 25mm board attached to a batten on the ceiling and floor, then had regular 12.5mm dot and dabbed on either side. As we had 2 doors now on the larger living room we decided to board it up and found the wall dividing the living room from the hall was thermalite block with 12.5mm dot and dabbed to it.

The electrics look like they had been chased in through the 25mm board but the previous occupier must have mounted a lcd tv on the wall because of all the holes but had cut squares out for the av cables and run them into the study and up the wall and back thorugh to the tv in the living room.

My problem I have now is that I hung some wall art in the landing and when I drilled through with a standard 6mm bit it punctured the wall in the bathroom luckily at that end of the bath it isn't tiled the thing is this wall looks like its made of 12.5mm board on each side with a very thin void in between and has no signs of studs or noggins. I suspect they have put a batten on the ceiling and floor again.

I am now left toatally clueless as to the construction of many of the internal walls and no idea of thickness or what fixings to use as I wanted to mount a tv in the bedroom but worried that it would not be fitted correctly. A colleague at work has stated the house probably does not meet building regs the property has 3years remaining on NHBC we have redecorated the whole house so really hope that it does comply as we are now just finishing getting the house the way we want it.

Many thanks
Neil

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Westbury Homes built in 2005 plasterboard internal walls

by welsh brickie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Does sound odd I must admit.Take a trip to the local planning office at the council,they will have the plans on file and ask the building control officer for his opinion.

neil shay
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Westbury Homes built in 2005 plasterboard internal walls

by neil shay » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for the reply I may just do that, as I am unsure if it is against regs or not maybe they can shed some light on it for me

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:27 am