wet or damp wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the old git
Labourer
Labourer

wet or damp wall

by the old git » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:20 pm

hi. this my first post, i have a detached bungalow build in 1965, the bedroom wall is damp right along the front of the house, outside is concrete,
i know we have had a lot of rain but it always seems to be bad this time of year, i am thinking of doing two things . first take up some floor boards
around the damp area and see if any water is getting in, secondly i am
going to take a block out of the front to check if the cavity is blocked, any ideas welcomed. thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:06 pm

the old git,
We need to know whether you are referring to damp at low level or damp over the whole wall before giving advice.
end

the old git
Labourer
Labourer

by the old git » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:44 pm

hi, thanks for your reply, the damp is at low level, just to add, i noticed also that it is damp outside along the wall below the damp course, i have no wallpaper inside the room just plain walls, i have had this problem for a while but it seems to be getting worse now.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:28 pm

the old git,
From your description bridged cavities are the most likely cause - unless you have filled cavities and the insulation has failed.
end

the old git
Labourer
Labourer

by the old git » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:51 pm

hi stoneyboy, i have no filled cavities or insulation, would you recommend
me getting cavity insulation done after i have checked the floor boards and took some blocks out the front if it is all clear.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 pm

the old git,
"i have no filled cavities or insulation" in that case the most likely cause is snots of mortar sitting on the wall ties, you'll soon see when you open up the cavity. If this is the cause do not have your cavities filled unless you can remove the mortar from everywhere.
end

the old git
Labourer
Labourer

by the old git » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:23 pm

hi stoneyboy, well i took the floorboards up in the corner of the bedroom, no damp. then i took a block out of the front of the bungalow and had a look in the cavity. no damp either, the next thing i was going to do was put two 9insx9ins airbricks in the front to see if that will do any good. do you think that is a good idea?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:57 pm