Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stanley1
Labourer
Labourer

Wetroom

by Stanley1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi, bear with me on this one!
I am a member of a print studio where we have a 'washout room'. This consists of what is essentially, a walk in shower room, tiled on three sides. The only difference being that it doesn't have a shower, but a high pressure, hand held jet wash. We use this for cleaning the silk screens and is more often than not directly aimed at the tiles. These tiles are standard 150 x 150 white ceramic tiles, which over time, have started to come away from the walls due to the pressure of the jet wash. Attempts over the years have been made to stick tiles back on but this never lasts long as the jet wash just blasts out the grout and you're back to square one.

I was wondering if I could have anyone's opinion on the cheapest and best method for solving this issue? I have had thoughts on attaching sheets of acrylic to the walls (over the tiles) and silicon sealing everything, sheets of stainless steel on the walls, but this is all very expensive and we are a very small studio with very small budgets (sub £100). We are not after something that will last a lifetime, as we may not be in this building for more than a few years.

Another method I thought of was to baton damp proof membrane to the walls using treated timber batons and using a waterproof adhesive of some sort to seal the edges to the walls around the tiled areas.

Or is there some heavy duty paint that could be painted over the tiles? My only concern is the jet wash flaking off the paint.

The wash room area is 3 walls each with surface areas of approx 2.5m high x 1.8m wide.

Anyway, anyone's expert opinion would be gratefully received!

alavapint
Tradesman
Tradesman

by alavapint » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Have you thought of upvc solid board. You can get it in 8'x4' sheets... and is available in 2-3 mm thick. This could be cut to size and stuck to the existing tiles using a sanitary silicone.

I'd guess you could keep close to your £100 budget... and still make a good job of it.

dmrltd
Labourer
Labourer

by dmrltd » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:18 pm

alavapint has got it spot on would sort out your problem and would still be cheap.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:34 pm