What is the Best way to connect down lights?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Wagster
Labourer
Labourer

What is the Best way to connect down lights?

by Wagster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:58 am

Hi All,

I have tried to locate an answer to my question but unfortunately none seem to suffice.

I am fitting 5 x 50w mains down lights( i know, the scurge of the nation!!) in a bedroom, the wiring for the house is of the circuit type. I have removed the ceiling rose and taken the wires into the loft space where i have used a 4 junction box, to connect the switch cable, circuit in, circuit out and cable to the light fitting.I have installed the first downlight to ensure that the wiring is correct and all seems fine, however i wanted to ensure that i am wiring the remaining lights correctly.

I have had some thoughts on the best way to go about this and wanted some advice:

1. Would it be ok to run a cable from the junction box and then add another junction box to this cable to feed the rest of the lights?
2. Should i try to join the lights together by just running L,N & E from one fitting to the next (concerned about connecting 2, 1.5MM cables in the block of each light)

Can someone advise what they feel the best approach would be?

Thanks

Wagster

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi Wagster, you obviously know my feelings on such things but anyway,,,
I would not want to struggle with more than 1 cable per fitting, as you say they are always tight. I would run to Jb and then radiate out from there to each light, even then it's tight in a lighting jb so I use 20A jb as larger terms,
regards SPARX

Wagster
Labourer
Labourer

by Wagster » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks for your advice Sparx, really appreciate your help. All connected and working fine.

Just a couple of final points:

In order to connect all of the lights, i have had to run approximately 1.5-2.00 meters of cable to each fitting, i have been reading about adding extra cable to a circuit and how this could cause a fire risks due to the additional distance power has to travel and the heat this generates, could the additional cabling cause me a problem?

Finally, as you probably gathered, i am completing the work as a keen DIY enthusiast, do i have to get a qualified electrician to check the work?

Thanks Again

Wagster

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:39 pm

Hi agn.
don't know where you have been reading but it sounds like Bovine-Scatter
to me!! the only limit on cable length is volt drop, from tables in regs book a 1.5mm cable drops 19.5milli-volts per Amp per Meter, so if your lights draw max load from 6A circuit then 19.5X6X2/1000=0.234Volts extra loss for your extra circuit length!! not a lot to worry about there!
put another way Power [Watts] = I[amps]xV[volts]= 6a x 0.234v=1.4watts of heat spread over your 2Metre length, again no sleep loss required!
If work not in bathroom or kitchen then no one need know, however if in the above areas then you have already broken the law by DIYing it.
see Doc's 'project' Part-p bldg regs,
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:27 am