What Rods are Used to Gas Weld 2.0mm Mild Steel
Help, advice and questions answered on all types of metal joinery

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
borddrman
Labourer
Labourer

What Rods are Used to Gas Weld 2.0mm Mild Steel

Post by borddrman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:35 pm

hi all just a question on what welding rods are used on 2.0mm mild steel when putting plates over holes on sills of cars ,also whats the best for alloy and welding exhaust boxes when holes appear ,if you have any links to what rods are uses or names of rods used please can you leave your comments any sort of help is a start and appreciated ,i will be using the oxyturbo 200 Professional Gas Welding Kit .

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What Rods are Used to Gas Weld 2.0mm Mild Steel

Post by ericmark » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:09 pm

In theory to weld you don't need a welding rod, but in practice it tends to form holes unless you use some extra material often called filler rods, not a clue why, but always seemed to be copper coated and in my day 1/16 inch thickness but suspect now in mm.

Gas welding is an art, the heat warps what you are welding so you need to tack first and often hammer the metal while welding, the problem today is the MOT and the inspectors have seen that many rotten jobs they are not very keen on passing cars with signs of welding.

It can of course be as good as new, but I have seen where new sill has been tacked in place then slate and epoxy filler used and painted.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:48 pm