What's hidden in the wall?
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chippychap
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's hidden in the wall?

by Chippychap » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:06 am

It was going to be a doddle.
Hanging a curtain pole.
Old cottage with big thick solid walls.
Very first hole and mighty jet of water leaps from the wall.
Oh how they all laughed.
But that was then.
I now still have the curtain pole behind the settee and my tools put away.
STILL have no curtains up.
I now see the walls as a minefield and have genuinely lost all
confidence.
The water pipes were placcy so I don't think the detector jobby would
have shown 'em.
If I get someone in is it trapping him into the same situation.
Don't really know what to do.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:31 pm

do you think there is any professional out there who has not drilled through the odd pipe or cable over the years?

There are some tricks to help reduce the possibility.

Look for services above, below and to the side of where you want to drill. Most, but certainly not all services, run vertically and are just below the surface in the plaster. When you start to drill, press lightly, and if the drill tip does not go instantly though the 1/2" of plaster, stop and assess the situation again. Most masonry drill bits don't like drilling through pipes or the capping that protects cables so you have a chance of preventing a catastrophe.

If the drill stops in the plaster, look in the hole with a torch. Can you see something maybe silver or copper colour?

Once through the plaster you are in brick or whatever, so no more lurking dangers.

Happy drilling!

Chippychap
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chippychap » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:07 am

I still think placcy pipes is a Ninja tactic........ :oops:
Thank you.

DrWho
Labourer
Labourer

by DrWho » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:15 am

:lol: I know what you mean, plastic makes it pretty hard to know what to do. I would never risk anything if I didn't know for a fact. Get back to drilling and try not to lose confidence!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 pm