what shower for flat with electric only
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
freindly fisherman
Labourer
Labourer

what shower for flat with electric only

by freindly fisherman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:06 pm

hi, my daughter is buying her first flat and only has electric as heat source, she works shifts so will not require hot water or heat for at least 14 hours a day no night shift, i have very little experience of storage heaters , should i be fitting a triton type instantanious shower or something pumped from hot water cylinder, i have a blank canvas as previous owners have carried out some real diy horrors, so it will be stripped back to the bones.
any help greatly appreciated,Chris

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:06 pm

I wonder what system of heating and hot water you have and what she is used to?
When I bought my first flat, it had no heating.
It did have a copper cylinder and immersion for hot water, this was in a cupboard off our hall at the end of the bathroom, the system worked by gravity. OK for bath, hand basin, kitchen sink. There was no shower.
The first thing I did was to install really good insulation round and over the tank, to avoid all heat loss. Confirmed by temperature gauge on top of insulation.
The second was to heat the entire one bedroom, lounge, bathroom, kitchen with two 500 watt thermostat controlled bowl heaters placed in the lounge.
Because I double glazed and insulated, that flat cost peanuts to heat. I have followed the same principals ever since.
Insulate, keep the cost of hot water and heating down, keep the comfort up.

Skids
Ganger
Ganger

by Skids » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi FF

fit a electric from a mains feed (cold).

GET THE ELECTRICS CHECKED FIRST, and fitted correctly!!

Regards

Skids

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 pm

Go electric. If it needs a new circuit bear in mind you'll be needing a qualified sparks to do it for you.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm