What Socket is This Found Under Caravan Seat
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

What Socket is This Found Under Caravan Seat

by greengrass » Sat May 20, 2017 2:02 pm

never seen one like it with what appears release red tags on each side.
Under seat in caravan I purchased and dealer couldn't tell me either. The feed cable is around 3mts long so it must detach for feed cable to be so long. Don't want to try the tags in case I break something. Hopefully I'll be able to submit the photo without any problems.
Many thanks.
Attachments
resized socket pic .jpg

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What Socket is This Found Under Caravan Seat

by ericmark » Sun May 21, 2017 8:02 pm

The box is designed to fit in plaster board, those tags when there is no socket on the box can be pushed inside the box, box then put in hole, tags pushed out again, then at the fixing screws are put in socket they slide up and grip the plaster board.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 22, 2017 7:46 am

Whoever installed the socket, used a dry-lining backbox. These backboxes are designed to be sunk into hollow walls, not to be surface mounted.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-1-gan ... /44827#_=p

It should really be a plastic pattress http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang-sur ... 30mm/11340.

They need to be swapped over, as the existing backbox will not conform to IP ratings from ingress protection of objects into the side of the box.

I would also be concerned over whether the flex supplying to socket is suitably rated to carry current safely and that it is not supported against stress.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:12 pm

[quote="ericmark"]The box is designed to fit in plaster board, those tags when there is no socket on the box can be pushed inside the box, box then put in hole, tags pushed out again, then at the fixing screws are put in socket they slide up and grip the plaster board.[/quote]

Thanks see my own answer explaning.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:21 pm

[quote="ericmark"]The box is designed to fit in plaster board, those tags when there is no socket on the box can be pushed inside the box, box then put in hole, tags pushed out again, then at the fixing screws are put in socket they slide up and grip the plaster board.[/quote]

Guessed it was ericmark thanks anyway.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:50 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]Whoever installed the socket, used a dry-lining backbox. These backboxes are designed to be sunk into hollow walls, not to be surface mounted.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-1-gan ... /44827#_=p

It should really be a plastic pattress http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-1-gang-sur ... 30mm/11340.

They need to be swapped over, as the existing backbox will not conform to IP ratings from ingress protection of objects into the side of the box.

I would also be concerned over whether the flex supplying to socket is suitably rated to carry current safely and that it is not supported against stress.[/quote]
================
Gottcha!!! thanks for your input.
Cable is correct size supplied by caravan spares shop and same rating installed in caravan during manufacture.
Can't use house type pattress for same reason you cannot use one in a plasterboard cavity wall it'll fall out. It has to be like the one in the photo with a lip around the edge so when the screws of the socket are tightened the lips stop patterss falling through the hole.
I take all replies/ advice seriously and will ensure the box is protected as Electricity takes no prisoners. Its only fools who don't heed warnings.
Take a wall no reading but see a socket so chip carefully at plaster to reveal capping behing capping two 13amp cables (ring not spurt). That saved a melted drill bit and my hair didn't stand on end. Shiftted the shelf fixings i was putting up.
greengrass.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 am

If you are cutting into the wall to sink it flush, then the dry-line box is fine to use. My comments on the surface mounted box, were made because the existing backbox is surface mounted and if your plans were to continue it as that the backbox would need to be changed to one that does not allow ingress of fingers or small solid objects. Which could be potentially dangerous..

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:22 am