what to do?
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mahiran12
Labourer
Labourer

what to do?

by mahiran12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:58 pm

my sister wants to get her room redone by getting rid of the capet and replacing it with laminated tiles, and my mum wants to add pva,then the underlay then the tiles, she wants to know if we need to add water to the pva or can we apply the pva without water.
and if we do add water, do u have to add anything else after drying?

thanks in advance

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm

What is the surface the tiles are to be laid on?

What do you mean by laminated tiles? Do you mean a laminate floor that looks like ceramic tiles or what?

Has she given you a reason as to why she wants to spread PVA around and what purpose it would serve?

mahiran12
Labourer
Labourer

by mahiran12 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:00 pm

it is being laid on chipboard, yes it is laminate floor, and my mum wants to use the pva to stop the chipboard from moving up and down and creaking when we walk.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:04 am

"It is being laid on chipboard, yes it is laminate floor, and my mum wants to use the pva to stop the chipboard from moving up and down and creaking when we walk."

PVA will not stop that by any stretch of the imagination I'm afraid. PVA is glue and will just sink into the top of the surface or lay on it depending how porius it is.

If the subfllor is it is creaking now its either because its got dust in the joints between the boards or it's plain not fixed down properly. If its moving up and down that points to the latter. Try screwing it down first taking care of pipework and cables beneath. If that solves the problem just lay the underlay and laminate on top.

Cheers

mahiran12
Labourer
Labourer

by mahiran12 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 pm

[quote="rosebery"]"It is being laid on chipboard, yes it is laminate floor, and my mum wants to use the pva to stop the chipboard from moving up and down and creaking when we walk."

PVA will not stop that by any stretch of the imagination I'm afraid. PVA is glue and will just sink into the top of the surface or lay on it depending how porius it is.

If the subfllor is it is creaking now its either because its got dust in the joints between the boards or it's plain not fixed down properly. If its moving up and down that points to the latter. Try screwing it down first taking care of pipework and cables beneath. If that solves the problem just lay the underlay and laminate on top.

Cheers[/quote]

kk thanks

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:05 pm