What to use to Seal a Damp Workshop Floor made of Concrete?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dave Ashby
Labourer
Labourer

What to use to Seal a Damp Workshop Floor made of Concrete?

by Dave Ashby » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Good evening,

I have recently taken up tenancy on an old workshop/garage which has rising damp through the concrete floor. The workshop was built some 30+ years ago and I very much doubt a damp proof membrane was used. Even in the summer months the concrete feels damp and anything left in contact with the floor is soon saturated.

I am using the workshop for my hobby of classic vehicle restoration and I am finding that the vehicles 'sweat' especially the cast iron components and any bare metal will start to oxidise and rust extremely quickly. I am putting this down to the workshop being constantly damp due to the concrete floor.

I would like to seal the floor rather than re-concrete as I can't lose any height (due to some vehicle sizes) and don't want the expense of breaking out the old and reinstating with the correct membrane.

Can anyone recommend a suitable compound/epoxy/resin based product that can be laid with a maximum thickness of 10mm and be robust enough to withstand heavy vehicle traffic, trolley jacks and axle stands without breaking up or peeling/chipping off?

Many thanks,

Dave

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What to use to Seal a Damp Workshop Floor made of Concrete?

by welsh brickie » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 pm

try VANDEX waterproofing screed

Dave Ashby
Labourer
Labourer

Re: What to use to Seal a Damp Workshop Floor made of Concrete?

by Dave Ashby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Welsh Brickie, I have looked into the product and although it looks like it will certainly be capable for the job intended it is out of my price range. Unfortunately as I do not own the workshop I am trying to resolve the issue as cheaply as I can, the footprint is 50 square metres so it would work out about £1300 for the afore mentioned product.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:43 am