What to use to Seal Double Glazed Units in Timber Frame?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RichardN
Labourer
Labourer

What to use to Seal Double Glazed Units in Timber Frame?

Post by RichardN » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:30 pm

I am replacing 3 double glazed window units in a wooden frame (which is good, not rotten) which have all failed.

I originally (12 years ago) used silicon sealant to bed the units into the wooden frame, but my wife cursed me because I used too much sealant, and it spread onto the glass panel, and she couldn't get it off.

There is wood beading around each window to keep the unit in place, after the window has been placed into the rebate

So I've now got the replacement windows. The manufacturer of the replacement windows said they don't use silicon sealant when they install dg window units

Is there a recommended method for installing double glazing units into a timber window frame?

These windows will be installed on the west coast of Scotland and are battered by wind and rain - hence my original, wrong decision to use silicon sealant.

Should I just be pushing them into the recess, and holding them there with the beading, end of story? Just seems a recipe for allowing water in around the edges, and rotting frames.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: What to use to Seal Double Glazed Units in Timber Frame?

Post by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:15 pm

bed them in with putty, and bed the beads in with putty

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:37 pm