What Type of Insulation Material Found in Loft is This?

Postby srb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm

My loft is full of a grey, fluffy material (on top of white fibreglass). I've had a look online and it looks to me like blown-in cellulose (though I've also seen mention of/photos of similar material that was described as loose-fill asbestos insulation. Is anyone able to confirm what this material is? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20170705_115700.jpg
IMG_20170705_115633.jpg
srb
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Loft Light attic lighting products

Postby Apteryx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Hi there,
Just a DIY'er myself but we went through a similar quandary recently with various possible asbestos substances. The advice we got was that if it looks suspicious, assume it could be asbestos until you have it tested otherwise. I don't believe anyone could tell you with certainty from a photo. It would need to be tested. Asbestos removal companies or perhaps your local council's scientific laboratory will be able to advise on how to get a sample taken safely.

We had various samples taken of some cement boards which turned out to be crysotile asbestos - which we had removed by professionals. We also had other samples taken of some bobbly grey hard material which turned out to be plain old concrete!

Good luck,
AP
Apteryx
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!