What Type of Insulation Material Found in Loft is This?
Information and advice on lofts and loft conversions. Find solutions and post your questions here...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
srb
Labourer
Labourer

What Type of Insulation Material Found in Loft is This?

by srb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:43 pm

My loft is full of a grey, fluffy material (on top of white fibreglass). I've had a look online and it looks to me like blown-in cellulose (though I've also seen mention of/photos of similar material that was described as loose-fill asbestos insulation. Is anyone able to confirm what this material is? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20170705_115700.jpg
IMG_20170705_115633.jpg

Apteryx
Labourer
Labourer

Re: What Type of Insulation Material Found in Loft is This?

by Apteryx » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi there,
Just a DIY'er myself but we went through a similar quandary recently with various possible asbestos substances. The advice we got was that if it looks suspicious, assume it could be asbestos until you have it tested otherwise. I don't believe anyone could tell you with certainty from a photo. It would need to be tested. Asbestos removal companies or perhaps your local council's scientific laboratory will be able to advise on how to get a sample taken safely.

We had various samples taken of some cement boards which turned out to be crysotile asbestos - which we had removed by professionals. We also had other samples taken of some bobbly grey hard material which turned out to be plain old concrete!

Good luck,
AP

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:01 pm