What type of insulation should i be using?

Postby Millsy » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi guys I'm wanting to insulate my little girls bedroom as it gets freezing in winter, we live in a dormer bungalow and I've found she has no insulation in the 2 stud partition walls which form her bedroom, the outside wall has cavity wall insulation, the flat section of her ceiling has loads of loft insulation on top, but the 45 degree sections of her ceiling also have no insulation!

I would like advice on how to insulate the 45 degrees sections mainly? The rafters are 3" deep, there is roof lining and then tiles. Any suggestions for the partition walls would be good too, they are plaster board on 3" joists backing into a small loft section, again this has loads of insulation on the floor but nothing up in the rafters.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:09 pm


Simply Build It

Postby Millsy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

Hi all

I've added a couple of pictures which will hopefully help


Roof lining
Roof-lining.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Rafters and lining
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Postby Millsy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:44 pm

How do you know if roof lining is breathable? ie being able to push fibreglass styles insulation directly onto the lining?

Thanks again Brett
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:09 pm

Postby welsh brickie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 pm

you need rigid insulation boards like kingspan 50mm thick leaving a 25mm airflow, easy to install and cuts with an ordinary saw just jam it in place
welsh brickie
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics