What ventilation do I need?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kevinmansfield
Labourer
Labourer

What ventilation do I need?

by kevinmansfield » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 am

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could help me, I need to ventilate my pottery painting studio/shop. At present there is very little ventilation when the shop is closed and this is a problem because that's when the kiln is firing. So I want to get a flow of air and extract some of the hotter air away from the kiln area.

I have a suspended ceiling and there is a vent in the roof pretty close to the kiln. I was thinking I could encourage some of the hot air out by installing some type of extractor in this area, perhaps an inline extractor in some ducting coming from above the kiln? We also thought we would stick a couple of vents at the other side of the shop.

Please note, I do not need to extract any poisonous fumes away from the kiln, it is pretty harmless. I just want to provide a bit more air in the premises. Obviously it is difficult for anyone to recommend anything without seeing the place, but any help would be very much appreciated.

My problem is I cannot afford to get a professional ventilation expert in and my brother who is a builder/carpenter is very capable of fitting the extractors, ducting and vents but we don't know what we need!

Many thanks, Kevin

Fluid
Labourer
Labourer

by Fluid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi,

work out the heat input of the kiln first then base your calculation for ventilation on that.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1