Whats the Best way of Wiring up 4 new Exterior Lights?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dburke06
Labourer
Labourer

Whats the Best way of Wiring up 4 new Exterior Lights?

by dburke06 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi,
I want to add some new exterior lights to the front of my house (these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LAP-Bronx-Brush ... B00XEULFLQ). I want 4 different light fixtures to be added to a brick/concrete wall. I do not want to wire these lights by drilling holes from inside the house since we've just had the walls freshly plastered and I don't want to have wires going up them. Additionally, the location of 2 of the lights would be at the end of supporting walls either side of a window so it would not be possible to drill a hole from inside directly to the back side of the light.

So, what's the best way to connect the wires to these external lights? Do I need to find some sort of mount that the lights will attach to that will allow a wire run on the outside of the house go directly into the back of the light, i.e., the wire would go into the side of the mount and then out through the center of it into the back of the light? (I plan to add conduit under a slight lip in the brick work which should hide most of the wires.)

Or does anyone have any other suggestions on how to wire the lights?
Thanks,
Darren

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Whats the Best way of Wiring up 4 new Exterior Lights?

by ericmark » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:39 pm

There are likely a 1001 methods of wiring a lamp. But there are some points to watch.

1) Use black wire as less likely to be damaged by UV.
2) Use round cable as it will seal better in the gland.
3) Protect from physical damage where it is likely.
4) Assess likely water ingress and consider having drain holes. Air will expand and contract and can produce a part vacuum so it can suck water in no real way to stop it. But you can give it a place to get out again. Often lid seals have small gap in the bottom. Away from heat of lamp may be a good idea to fill with a re-enterable compound like petroleum jelly (Not grease as some will conduct).
5) Use some double pole device so if water does get in you can isolate the lights.
6) Use RCD protection.
7) Use a suitable protective device like a 3A fuse. Although allowed up to 16A for lighting faulty lamps with 16A MCB can end up with bulbs welded to holder, using a 3A fuse that will blow before contacts weld.
8) Consider drip loops, if the cable drops any water following cable by capillary action will drip off at bottom of loop rather than go into fitting or house.
9) Drill hole again so water will run out of house not in.

Unless you have solar powered lamps there has to be some connection to inside the house.

Also consider other lamps, specially if using any sensor. My neighbour had a lamp which would cause my lamp to turn off, and my lamp turning on would cause theirs to turn on so the pair would flash at each other all night long.

I will guess from look at lamp these may have same screw spacing as a conduit box.

dburke06
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Whats the Best way of Wiring up 4 new Exterior Lights?

by dburke06 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks EricMark. I hadn't thought about some of those suggestions or possible pitfalls like drops running along the wire so thanks very much.

I realise that the lights need some connection to inside the house, it's just that I was wondering what the best way to make the lights as flush as possible with the wall is without having the wire come from inside the house directly behind the light.

> I will guess from look at lamp these may have same screw spacing as a conduit box.

This is something I'm not sure about. It's impossible to know in advance if the screw locations will match a conduit box. What happens if they don't??!

Cheers,
Darren

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:08 pm