When to rewire

Postby flateric » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:05 pm

My house was built in the 70;s so i am guessing its around 25 years old. the query is, do i need to think about renewing wiring or getting a check done?

I think essentially it should be ok, i replaced the old fuse wire blocks with plug in RCD, and have only modified the circuits a little.

This a 3 bed with only one circuit serving up and downstairs, 11 sockets, a circuit that runs the immersion heater, one for the cooker and two for lights.

i have plans to run a feed out to the garage which will involve running a cable 25 -30 meters.

So is there anything i need to consider? does my kitchen have to have its own circuit for example?
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:28 am


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:01 pm

It is recommended that houses are inspected and tested every 10 years or change of occupier which ever is shorter. I have not seen plug in RCD so I will guess you mean a MCB which means you most likely don't have a RCD. To fit one you would most likely need to change the consumer unit and that would also allow for garage latter. But changing a consumer unit is not really a job I would think suitable for DIY plus we also have in England and Wales Part P. In June there are changes coming in so if your not going to do the work soon there may be more or less things required. But when you get your inspection and test done I am sure the electrician will advise. If you are going to change the consumer unit I always test before and after as once changed it is hard to get people to believe the faults were not caused by change. And you really do need to know what needs doing before the electrician starts changing consumer unit.

Postby flateric » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:45 pm

thanks for that, we must be long overdue an inspection then, god knows how much that will cost.

your right they are MCB units, and as i am in the UK i have to try and comply with part P so a lot of the work in need will not be DIY, many of the jobs i have done would not be allowed under the regs either.

i would have no qualms in replacing the consumer unit, but i imagine my electric supplier would want proof it had been done correctly before re connection.
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:28 am

Postby ericmark » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:58 am

At one time the supply authority were involved in the inspection process but now they don't seem to think its there place and it's up to you to make sure it's done correct. Inspection and testing plus change of consumer unit should normally be done within the day. Cost would depend on area but between £200 and £500 would seem about right. The supply authority will often supply an isolation switch so it can be reconnected although that also seems to change area to area. In some areas they don't seem to get upset when seals are broken as long as you tell them rather than them finding it but I would not want to do it myself. But I have all too often had to argue with the supply authority over earthing systems and under size supply cables. They don't have to supply an earth but they do have to tell you what type of earth you should have because they are not allowed to mix TT and TN-C-S in same area. So you have to be careful what you ask for. In my area there are only two supply authority's all other firms are called "Billing Agents" this can also cause problems when you seem to be sent from pillar to post to get things done. It is all a lot easier if the supply authority and billing agent are the same person.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics