Where can I get some effective wood primer paint?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BML
Apprentice
Apprentice

Where can I get some effective wood primer paint?

Post by BML » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:42 am

I have some lattice doors that I want to paint white and my wife bought me some a tin of "Dial" from B&Q which claims to be Wood primer and undercoat. I have managed to stay away from painting for a long time and my first surprise was that it was white, not the pink primer I last used. My next surprise was that it was like applying water and it appears that I will need two or even three coats to cover the wood.
Is there any decent primer out there?

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Where can I get some effective wood primer paint?

Post by proptech » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Hi BML

You have stayed away from painting for a while. Pink primer goes back to the days of lead paint, when red lead was added as a dryer.
As you have applied a coat of this 'Dial' stuff, there's no reason why you should not apply another coat. You can't expect any primer to give that much cover though, it will have done it's job.
Stay well away from B&Q's and other own brand paint. Go to a proper decorators merchant if at all possible.
The primers I mostly use these days are by Zinsser, take a look at http://www.zinsseruk.com

BML
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Where can I get some effective wood primer paint?

Post by BML » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Many thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:37 pm