Where is the lintel - I dont know what im looking at!
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mundlebunbdle
Labourer
Labourer

Where is the lintel - I dont know what im looking at!

by mundlebunbdle » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 am

Hi all,

I am looking at doing a pretty minor job, it is the widening of an internal doorway that is currently 450mm wide, taking it out to 650mm. The house was built in the 60s and the wall is a single skin of what I presumed to be block. The wall is not an extension and was there when the house was first built.

I had proposed to take the plaster back to find out how long the existing lintel was and see if I could get away without having to replace the existing lintel. However, upon taking the plaster back I have come across an odd construction. See photos.

There is a timber beam sitting on the top of the doorframe, which is only the length of the doorframe, so it is not acting as a lintel. Also, in the wall I have exposed it doesnt appear to be block, it looks to me like reinforced concrete given that there are rust spots and no mortar joints to be found. The fact that the concrete is formed perfectly around the end of the timber also suggests an in-situ pour. Im not 100% certain it is concrete but I dont know what else it could be!

This seems really strange to me - I would not expect to see an in-situ poured concrete wall for an internal wall. Its not supporting anything in particular - the joists for the floor above run parallel to the wall, and there is no wall along the same line above (it is just a landing) - im confident that its not working very hard.

If it is an in-situ pour, I suspect that the timber shown was only put in to strengthen the doorframe during the pour.

I can't see any major issues with the slight widening of the doorway still, particularly if I do add a new lintel.

Any advice on what I am looking at, or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am planning on taking more of the plaster away to see if that gives me any more clues, but just wondering if anyone has seen this before.
Attachments
Close up on exposed concrete
Close up on exposed concrete
photo 3.JPG (49.87 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
Close up on timber
Close up on timber
photo 2.JPG (54.61 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
General view of doorframe
General view of doorframe
photo 1.JPG (29.76 KiB) Viewed 2213 times

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Where is the lintel - I dont know what im looking at!

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:54 am

I haven't seen that before, I would cut out and install the lintel, then cut out the doorway

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:10 am