Where should the wires go?

Postby febwgdk » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:27 pm

General Question: Where should the wires go? Looking at how my house is wired, it looks like lights and switches are served via the ceiling and sockets via the floor. Is this how it must be.

Specific Question: Must the wire from my CU to my new shower's pull cord switch go via the ceiling, or can it go under the floor and then up the wall?

Cheers.
febwgdk
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby SparkyPaul » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:00 pm

The wires can go anywhere in the safe zones ie horizontally or vertically between accessories etc
If it is twin and earth burried in a wall less than 50mm then it needs to be 30milli amp or less RCD protected too
A shower needs to be <=30milliamp RCD protected anyway
Is notifiable under part p too for england or wales.
SparkyPaul
Progress to next rank:
68.4%

Postby kbrownie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:34 pm

SparkyPaul is right, but the longer your cable the higher the resistance and the higher the voltage drop.
KB
kbrownie

Postby febwgdk » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Ta very much.
febwgdk
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!