Where to start

Postby Adam_C » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

I'd like to knock down a supporting wall between kitchen and dining rooms to create an open plan kitchen diner.

There would likely be a few other bits of remodelling in the project, but at this stage I want to find out how best to explore the feasibility and costs.

Should I get a structural engineer involved? An architect? Or both?
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:16 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:21 am

start by getting prices from builders that friends or relatives have used in the past,always go with recommendations from other people,and ask to see the work done.
The size of the beam you need will be assessed based on the wall construction, the builder will fit it and check the bearing of the beam, and building control officer will inspect it.If the builder is unsure of the size of the beam he will use he will contact an engineer for the calculations.
welsh brickie
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Postby mathewleo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:15 pm

No need to hire any architect.
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:42 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics