I fitted this boiler new in Feb 2003, and it is very efficient. Our gas consumption is low. But that is mainly because the house has high levels of insulation, and we have a wood burner. The boiler supplies underfloor heating to the whole house. We also have a Solar hot water system.
We had a horrendous break down of the boiler in the winter of 05/06. It kept cutting out, and would not operate long enough to give us any heating.
I called in 3 different Corgi engineers, none of whom could fix it without throwing expensive parts at it till it worked. It was broken down for 9 weeks in the coldest period for a few years.
The Ideal specialist could not help because his lap-top which he uses to diagnose problems with these boilers was being updated by Ideal.
The Ideal technical help-line was no help.
Eventually I got hold of the local Ideal rep, who came here with an Ideal engineer the next day out of sympathy...........I filled his ear with my tale of woe on the phone......... and they fixed it with their lap-top diagnosis. It needed a new gas control valve, which they had in the car.
We were considering changing the boiler out of frustration. Since then it has been fine till this week.
It has started over-heating. The underfloor heating has a cut-off switch to protect it if the system goes over 60 c., and this kept cutting out because the boiler water temp had increased to 63 from the set 55c. The boiler failed to respond when the temp control was turned down.
I was about to call out an engineer when I decided to look in the service/installation manual.
I noted a little electronic component was mentioned to prevent interference by local radio signals. We have just started using a wireless internet device on our computer modem. I put two and two together, turned the wireless box off, and the boiler instantly worked perfectly.
So there you have it. We can't have a reliable boiler, and a wireless internet connection. I'll be getting the little device fitted to our boiler.
I hope the above is helpful to someone.